God, I hate that saying, mainly because of how true it actually is. I was thinking to myself just yesterday (whilst taking a timeout from my day) why as we get older we handle our issues differently. And by saying that I don’t mean we handle it in a more mature way than before, that’s a completely different thing – and as we are older, I would hope we do handle them with more maturity than before. But instead I mean, before if you were having a nightmare of day, nothing was going right and it literally felt like the walls were closing in on you.... the only thing you want to do is call up a friend to go hang out with at the end of the day and listen to their day, or talk crap about nothing important and just forget your troubles for some time, so that you can relax, remain sane and regroup basically. These days when you have a day like that, it is difficult to face anyone or anything. Not talking to anyone, seeing no one and instead – retreating to your very quiet home to just be alone is all that you feel like. Honestly... I don’t even want to talk about the issues, I don’t want advice on them (unless of course you can solve them – then jump right in.... Please!) and I certainly don’t know how to pretend that they’re not there by being around someone else. So I suppose the thought that crossed my mind was whether we just have less energy these days to pretend nothing’s wrong and look for that escape in going somewhere with someone to forget about them, or whether the problems we face are just bigger or more important that you actually can’t ignore them? It’s quite impossible to? I’m starting to think it’s the latter, just because I don’t think there’s comfort in forgetting something that hasn’t been resolved, you can’t hide it away in your mind til later because it’s too important to not think about. Whereas having a bad day, when that’s all it’s been – crabby customers, late for work, spilled coffee on yourself, that type of thing you can escape from at the end of the day by actually being around a happy face and forgetting about the day, coz it’s in the past. I can only hope the downpour of yesterday will slowly start to dry up and things can go back to normal again. And my normal I simply mean the normal I’m used to dealing with.
No comments:
Post a Comment