I was at the beach Sunday morning hoping to get a feel for what the water challenge would be like with a swim out to the buoy and back. Well...........if I had balls, lets just say I'd have frozen them off! My nerves - it was 16 degrees Celsius and quite possibly the coldest water I have ever had the displeasure of being submerged in...... Ever! I realised that I was going numb when my limbs started feeling warm. Yip... warm. So I started swimming. It was cool. Chest was freaking out because my breaths were still far too short to practice swimming with how the cold was stealing from my air capacity. What a nightmare. So I realised a suit was necessary. Got an awesome pink and black Ripcurl shorty. Also a long sleeve rashvest - coz I need to actually figure out my attire for this whole thing.. Transition period is going to a breathing blessing, but I don't wanna get my heart racing trying to undress and dress coz I don't have time for all the changing. So i'm gonna see whether Tri shorts are available and maybe use the rashy instead of the suit. Not sure yet.
I have my bike too - courtesy of someone who knows someone who knows someone. They have Shimano race shifters - which I quickly learned aren't the same gears I had on my mountain bike in High School. Haha. Anyway what's youtube for if not to find out 'how-to'. So I'm hoping to go out and try that tonight, in fact - I WILL be going wind and all - good practice I guess.... Bleak mostly about not being able to swim. Severe rough seas warnings for today and into the eve.... So unfortunately it's a no-no for the water today. I'm guessing I'll be ok on the day (Weather God prayer: Repeat) as I'll be pretty pumped to get in and out.. some body temp regulation in the sea after the briefing will be totally needed for me before the swim... And best news ever: They're releasing swimmers in waves. (excuse the pun) Yeeeeeaaah. No millions of bodies piling in at the same time. First wave 230 teams, second wave - other 230 teams, third wave - individual men and fourth wave (me) - individual women. So, so happy about that. So only 230 "women" jumping in the sea when we start which is at 8:20am :)
The ride I'm not worried about, neither am I about the run... Only because I know exactly what to expect - maybe not after each transition for sure... But I know I can control my pace depending how i feel. I just hope that all goes well with the bike, no issues on chains and tyres and whatnot - coz I sure as hell don't know how to change a tyre. I've seen how it's done by those who make everything look easy... :) but I'm no pro on how to sort stuff out in such a short race, I'd sooner push the bike back the whole way! I'm also super keen to wear my new helmet - I'm so silly in those ways, but yeah.... it's pretty amazing... so yeah, hopefully i look ok doing all of this :/
So much rambling... but I have a lot of unused conversation.. so I'm just plastering it all on here... I'll have a write up after the event too... So whoever reads this... hold thumbs for me and that the report back is one of a good tone :)
No comments:
Post a Comment