Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Swim.Ride.Run

Alarm went off at 5am, and you know that feeling where you go, oh flip, no more sleeps, it's happening today.... it's happening now. I had that. So of course along with that feeling comes the excited nerves I guess.  It was still dark when we left home at 6am, no idea why we can't do this thing earlier in the year dammit! Winter outdoor sports are for the obsessive I think, which, on most days I can be.... but anyway for now I was still freaking out at being on the beach this early in the cold winter morning chill. We arrived and pushed our bikes to transition and racked them in the individual section and you can't even begin to imagine how beautiful the sunrise was at that very moment... There were few places I'd rather have been once I was there, which made me feel cool to know I was a part of it.



So it was time to 'suit up' and holy crap it was chilly. Ice cold feet walking around on the paving - they went pretty numb, and I soon got over it. Next was the dip in the ocean to regulate our body temp's to the water. Well, haha, it was 14 degrees Celsius. So I'd like you to imagine how I felt.... The difference I felt though, was that when it's super cold outside, the water isn't that much of a shock to the system when you get in. Sunday's session when it was a gorgeous day out - I couldn't even breath while in the water it was so cold and it was a degree warmer. So we got out and waited for the waves of teams to go out. We were scheduled for 8:20am, and the time got a little sweeter because I found my friends in the crowd who came to wish me luck before I started. 


Pity my eyes were closed, but anyway it's the only shot I had, and we were wearing very overcompensated smiles.... haha, yip nerves! Never in my life did I ever imagine I'd be in a photo in a wetsuit with a swimming cap on the beach, and this is the first of quite a few I'm sure. We waited for the gun to go off, went running into the ocean and started swimming, or as I like to think of it - not drowning. There was serious swell. Most of the swimmers said it wasn't ideal, but at least they know how to get passed that. I didn't feel very comfortable with the swell - it just tired me a LOT more than I needed it to. But anyway, out the water and off to the bikes, now the cool part starts :)




Transition - what a mini nightmare.... I was still choking back all the salt water I had swallowed and decided if I want to enjoy my ride and not feel sick I needed to sort some shit out! So I gargled water, and couldnt swallow it, haha, then had a bite or 2 of my nougat bar, blew my nose - coz that was pretty water clogged too. Sorry - there's nothing pretty bout sea water face. Haha. But then I only started changing. All went well til my number popped off with the safety pins. I didnt need that... But anyway I got it on, slipped on my socks and shoes (over beach sand and all), helmet clipped on and made my way out to the mount line. This pic above was me bout to mount the bike for what was a really cool ride. I enjoyed it so much so, that I actually just need to get better at it. A little "push" went a long way on the way back and I managed to do a pretty decent time - on just the ride (transition aside). I jumped off my bike and started to run and push it into transition, then...... I stopped running and did weird little walk hop jumps, because - no shock here - I hadn't trained from ride to run. Well let me tell you... you can't just run straight off the bike. Jelly legs. Helmet off, bike racked, grabbed my nougat and ran out...


That's my run-wave move, hahaaha. It really was probably one of the coolest parts of it for me - seeing the faces I know throughout it all that cheered me on as I passed. It's funny, the distances aren't big, but it's such a challenging thing to do nonetheless when you're trying to manage the 3 disciplines and when you're trying to do it as best you can. They often say shorter distances can take it out of you more coz you push more than you pace. Either way, I know that the run was my best... I was happy with the time and mainly becuase I know I could have been running faster actually - coz it felt too easy. I just didn't wanna push too hard and have to walk or something silly in the last leg of it all. After all was said and done - I came in at 1:29:54 (talk about touch and go) I came 82nd in my category out of 158. Not bad for first one, but I know where I can find time, where I need to train more - water; where I can improve - ride; what I can perfect - run. Transition must get sorted - wasting time... and then I should have a good chance at doing well. we'll see.. it's only next year. It's still long way away.


No comments:

Post a Comment