Monday, 18 July 2011

Madiba's charity mission

It's Mandela's birthday today and as patriotic citizens and those in favour of how he brought our (previously unfair) nation to a democratic one, we are meant to honour him by giving 67 minutes of our time to doing something that we deem to be 'charitable'. I feel that my contribution to society today at being charitable will involve the following forms of 'giving back':

* I won't cancel my contract with my broker today as I had planned on - now that I finally have my car - due to the worst service I have received to date, ever, with regards to processing a claim today - I will refrain from doing that today.
* I will be patient with bad drivers and excuse their horrific driving skills, by waiting, smiling, and NOT hooting and swearing (hopefully my life won't be at risk on the road in this lenience)
* I'll be polite to the hobo's who beg at my window, ie. as opposed to waiting for him to get to my window and as he gets there, I drive forward - I will wait and pretend to look for money at which point I will then, not give him any money.
* When I am in a debate where the argument involves me being wrong when I in fact know I'm right. I will let the party I'm having this particular argument with - believe that they are right. Just today. Never again.
* When I order my take away and you get my order wrong (as you always do) - I won't ask to speak to your manager again, I'll just say 'it happens' - that could be tough, as it doesn't just happen every time, and now I'll be needing to pretend that.
* I'll not drive my car on the road for 67 minutes so as not to contribute to air pollution in that time. Though I'm sure on most days I do this - seems I'm quite charitable to the ozone layer this regard. Hmm, nice.
* I'll buy a bag of naartijies from the naartijie lady at the robot that seems to think I need a bag of 20 every day. Even after i bought the one day, she tried to sell me the following day. Odd. Anyway I'll buy today. This couples with the reason that I ate my last one last night, and that 67 minutes aside - I actually need.

I feel that by the end of today, having exercised such pleasant selflessness I might wake up tomorrow a happier person. (I also think it might just be coz I'll be driving my new car) haha. But that's just between you and me.

Happy Birthday Madiba.....!!!! And may South Africa not go to a giant ball of chaotic sh*t when you eventually - on a very sad day - leave this earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment