Friday, 15 July 2011

Raw Fish

The best sushi known to man is situated in a modest little Chinese restaurant in a small town where nobody lives. When I say nobody, what I really mean to say is, nobody with heaps and bounds of ambition – no offence to those I know who grew up there – but then again you left, so I’m assuming you have ambition and are not in any way offended by this remark. I am an avid sushi lover, fiend if you will. As far as I have travelled around South Africa with work and leisure, I have always made a conscious effort to test the sushi joints in other towns. It is all part of the great search for the freshest salmon, the perfectly proportioned rice and superior quality of the sushi experience as a whole. I have tasted sushi at seafood restaurants, Chinese restaurants, little ‘hole-in-wall’ Japanese take-away spots, but nothing can touch Hong Zua. Granted the place is a little odd looking from the outside, and none of the staff can speak a word of English barring perhaps ‘anything to drink’ and ‘ready to order?’, but it’s not like they’re going to misunderstand you by asking you ‘and how would you like that done mam?’ There aren’t many words to explain what happens in my mouth when I taste the perfect salmon rose, but it sounds a little like ‘mmmmmmmmm....’ So should anything ever lead you to this town in question, whether it be for work, or...well, WORK, then scribble a night at Zong hua in your diary – you won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment